Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Special Days!

We're celebrating two special days this week!

Monday was the first anniversary of the second-best day of my life - we got engaged! (trumped only of course by our wedding day...see below)!

Incase you haven't heard our engagement story, I pulled this off of our wedding website. Such a special day, and I may be biased, but I think I have the best engagement story of all time. :)

(Courtney writing) It was just after my Family vacation, which of course David went on as well. Vacation was at Lake Jocassee, SC up in the very top corner of the state. One of David's favorite things to do (and, it's growing on me too...) is to go camping in the North Carolina Mountains. So, David decided weeks before we left for vacation that we should go camping for a day or two after vacation since we were so close to the mountains. We camp a lot, so I didn't think anything of it, besides that it was a great idea.

The day we were set to go camping, the weather took a turn for the worst. The temperature dropped to about 60 degrees (yes! in July!) and it was pouring outside! Of course, at that point I just wanted to head home, but everyone was insistent that I go "because David is so excited about camping". So, off we went. We spent the day perusing around Brevard, NC, and when the weather cleared a bit, we headed for a campsite. We camped and had great quality time...and surprisingly enough the weather was perfect! It didn't rain and we got to enjoy a campfire and even saw some wildlife (no bears!). In the morning, we packed up and headed to hike some waterfalls, because I love waterfalls. So, off we went. David suggested "Why don't we stop by Target before we go see the waterfalls, so we can clean up a little?" (See, it had been about 2 days since either of us had showered...smart boy, knowing I'd want pictures of what was coming up!) So we cleaned up and drove a little ways to Hooker Falls, Triple Falls and High Falls. 

We got to the biggest one, which was breathtakingly beautiful (and breathtakingly cold!) and were there for a while, before I started getting antsy, wanting to move on to the next waterfall. I told David "I'm bored" to which he responded, "Don't be bored, just enjoy it for a little while longer". Then he asked me to sit down on a rock, and he sat across from me. He then pulled out some soap and began to wash my feet. Thinking it strange, and beginning to know something was going on, I asked why he was washing my feet. While washing, he said "Biblically, washing someone's feet is the ultimate act of service. And I want you to know I love you and I want to serve you for the rest of my life." Immediately I knew what was going on and screamed and put my face in my hands. He pulled the most beautiful ring I've ever seen out of his pocket and asked me to marry him. I began to cry, and don't really remember anything after that, but I said "Yes, yes yes!" and he put it on my finger. After this, he led me around to the side of the waterfall to show me a huge fallen log where he had carved "Mr. and Mrs. Irvin" into it! Turns out, he had come up for a day weeks before (told me he was working late) and been to all the waterfalls to scout out the perfect place!

When we left the waterfalls, we headed home to Charleston, where we were greeted by both families for a mini-celebration! It was a perfect day. I will never, ever forget that feeling!

Some pictures from our day:









The other special day we are celebrating is the best day of our life! It's our four-month-anniversary today! Yes, I'm reverting to celebrating middle-school-style-monthly anniversaries (remember how big of a deal those were!?) - because every month has been so special! Hey, you're allowed to do that in the mushy-gushy-love phase of your first year of marriage, right? :)


My favorite picture of the whole day!


Yay for love and mini-milestones - Here's to a life full of them!




1 comment:

  1. Aww Courtney, that is the sweetest story. What
    A precious memory. Glad you are back to blogging

    ReplyDelete