Thursday, August 9, 2012

Thankful Thursday


This has been an unusual week to say the least. 

Without a doubt, the thing I'm most thankful for this week is the life of my Aunt Winnie. She was my grandmother's younger sister, and she passed away early Monday morning. We attended her funeral yesterday in Greer, and it was beautiful. Tearful as any funeral is, but wonderful. We sang Amazing Grace and How Great Thou Art. Singing in the choir was her favorite thing, and what a joyful noise it was to hear everyone in the church singing those two classic hymns. I'm thankful for getting time to see my distant family (Aunt Winnie's children, and their children) that we don't get to see often. 

When I think of my Aunt Winnie, I think of peanut butter crackers. Seems silly, but it's what reminds me of her. When I was in college, Aunt Winnie and Uncle Cecil were right down the road in Greer, and occasionally I would get to go spend a night off-campus to hang out with them and my Grandma Young. And every time, without fail, Aunt Winnie would not let me go back to school without a "care package" full of sweets & snacks, and peanut butter crackers. The orange kind with peanut butter in the middle. At one point, I think I had 4 or 5 boxes in my pantry at school - because sometimes she would give me multiples! I think she would clean out her snack cabinet when I came. We would ride up to "The Clock" for dinner, and then spend time in the evening just laughing and carrying on, and she would make me play them a song on her piano. She was so kind, and encouraging, sweet, and even goofy, teasing my grandmother and Uncle Cecil about something. I always, always felt welcome in her home. It was such a treat to get away and visit with them. Her husband, my Uncle Cecil, passed away just as I was graduating from Clemson, so I got to attend his funeral with my mom as well a few years ago. BOTH of them were so special to us.

Funny enough, since college, I've kept orange peanut butter crackers in my pantry. It's a staple that my cabinet is never without. You can bet that it will be from here on out. And from now on, I'll smile whenever I open them, and remember fondly, my sweet Aunt Winnie.

I'm thankful too, for leniency in my job to allow me to take a day off to go to the funeral. 

I'm thankful for my Aunt Nancy & Uncle Max's hospitality in letting us stay with them in Columbia the night before so we didn't have to leave Charleston at 4:30 am! :)

I'm thankful for the gift of salvation. Thankful that I know, that I know, that I know Aunt Winnie is in heaven, reunited with Uncle Cecil and her other siblings that have passed, and is singing in the heavenly choir. I'm thankful for mine and my family's salvation - that one day we will see them again!

Peace and Blessings,
Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment